Dr. Bruce Crawford is St. Petersburg & Tampa Bay, FL’s award-winning periodontist with the most advanced technologies for receding gums.
According to research from the Center for Disease Control, 47% of U.S. adults over age thirty live with some varying degree of gum disease. Let Dr. Crawford put you back on the positive side of that split. Gum recession has at its core roughly ten causes working alone or in combination with one another.
What Causes Gum Recession?
- Genetics – 30% of the population has the potential for gum disease despite their oral care.
- Periodontal disease erodes soft tissue and damages the bone; Without treatment, tooth loss is possible.
- Excessive brushing & technique with a medium to hard bristled brush can cause gum recession.
- Bruxism (teeth grinding) along with clenching can damage the gum over time.
- Misaligned teeth and / or bite can place additional stress on your gums.
- Poor oral hygiene and inadequate oral care can lead to problems.
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Tongue and lip piercings
Dr. Crawford’s options and expertise in periodontics will bring about the positive aspects associated with a healthy mouth. Imagine hot and cold foods no longer being a trigger. Root decay and damage will be greatly reduced as the changes to your gums and teeth take hold.
Gum grafting is the traditional path taken with gum recession. Healthy tissue from other regions of your mouth are harvested or from a tissue bank to the gum line in need. Traditional gum grafts are often performed in batches, depending on how much treatment is required, as they usually involve at least two surgical sites.