Dr. Bruce Crawford is St. Petersburg & Tampa Bay, FL’s award-winning periodontist with the most advanced technologies for tooth extractions.
Tooth extractions are a procedure performed at all dental practices and the last option considered. At Crawford Implant Dentistry & Laser Periodontics, we will look at all other options before a tooth extraction is considered. Dr. Crawford and his staff assess each situation considering the tooth, the area of the mouth and the patient. However, in each situation we will use anesthesia to numb the area and see to it that your experience is the most comfortable one possible.
Teeth are removed for a number of reasons most commonly infection, breakage, decay and crowding. The two forms of extractions are simple and surgical.
Reasons For Tooth Extractions:
- Severe infection or tooth decay
- Severe gum disease
- Supernumerary – teeth are crowding and blocking
- Non-restorable teeth
- Fractured teeth
- Orthodontic treatment
- Cosmetic reasons
Tips For a Speedy Recovery After a Tooth Extraction:
- Follow prescription direction with painkillers as prescribed by your dentist or oral surgeon. Apply an ice or cold pack to the outside of your mouth to help relieve pain and swelling.
- After 24 hours, rinse your mouth gently with warm salt water several times a day to reduce swelling and relieve pain.
- Change gauze pads regularly.
- Relax after surgery.
- Avoid smoking or smoke products after a tooth extraction.
- Eat soft foods, such as gelatin, broth or thin soup. Slowly add solid foods back in to your diet as healing progresses.
- Prop your head up with pillows after a tooth extraction.
- Avoid rubbing the area with your tongue.
- Avoid straws and sucking motion and carefully brush your teeth and tongue.
Remember, at Crawford Implant Dentistry & Laser Periodontics, we aim to preserve your teeth by considering all possibilities before tooth extraction. Your care and comfort are our top priority!